Welcome to OTRv4!
This is the place where the team keeps notes.
What is OTRv4?
OTRv4 is the version 4 of the OTR protocol. OTR cryptographic protocol that provides encryption for instant messaging conversations.
The conversation around the needs for having a 4th version of OTR started at a meeting had in Valencia, Spain at the IFF (some notes are here). A version of this protocol has already been reviewed as mentioned here.
Here some papers and links describing OTR:
- The official website
- The protocol description for version 3
- The protocol description for version 2
- A User Study of Off-the-Record Messaging by Ryan Stedman, Kayo Yoshida and Ian Goldberg
- Improved User Authentication in Off-The-Record Messaging by Chris Alexander and Ian Goldberg
- Off-the-Record Communication, or, Why Not To Use PGP by Nikita Borisov, Ian Goldberg and Eric Brewer
- Off-the-Record Communication, or, Why Not to Use PGP -presentation-
We are a team of very diverse people.
We meet weekly over video: Monday at 5pm UTC.
For a whole overview of all the things that this project comprises, please go here.
For the OTRv4 spec, you have two planning walls:
For libotr-ng, you have two planning walls:
Everyone can collaborate with comments, reviews and suggestions to the protocol. Everyone is welcome!